Epic Characters : Preface
Preface
The ancient Indian literature consists of works in
Sanskrit. Its range is from abstract, esoteric works to the most simplified
narratives in prose and poetry. On the one hand, we have highly analytical
essays or compositions of subtle profound thoughts and on the other, parables
and stories that explain the complexities of life in simple story forms. This
treasure trove in the form of Upanishads, Itihāsas, Purāṇas, Myths, Songs, Kathas - Stories, and Kāvyas by men and women of great
knowledge and insight is the core of the ancient Hindu thought.
A great number
of thinkers, poets, and
philosophers of Hinduism have
explained the mysteries
of the phenomenal
world and that of the
metaphysical in lucid, concise,
and terse language using apt
metaphors and symbols. Here
is an humble attempt on my part
to bring forth these precious works before
the young interested minds so as
to help them to have a glimpse at the bygone era and gradually
develop an interest in the profound works of the Enlightened souls.
For instance, if we compare
Hindu philosophy with
that of Greek philosophy, we find that
the Greeks were fatalists. We too believe
in destiny and
its iron hand. But Hindu view is that
destiny may relent after atonement
where as for Greeks, the destiny is the dark power. For any misdeed the person
has to suffer relentlessly as we see in the stories of Atlas,Tantalus, Edipus
Rex etc.
In this book ‘Epic characters and Beyond’ I have made
sincere attempts to explain the words we often refer while we talk or hear them
frequently. Though many may be knowing certain details about such references, I
strongly feel that they have to be given
to the readers like glossary so that it will be received well by them to
understand them more clearly and the innermeaning provided in them by our great
sages. In prepring this book I have drawn materials from Epics, Purāṇas, Bhāgavatam, upaniṣads and many books that were written
by highly read scholars.
Some may ponder as to why I have
added the word ‘Beyond’ in the
title. This has been included in the title since, names of holy rivers like
Sarayu, holy places like Kurukṣetraṃ, holy weapons like
Gadā etc need some explanation and
therefore it became inevitable for me to include them in this compilation..
I have endeavoured to give proper credit wherever I have
to, and any omission of such credit is unintentional.
Before proceeding further, please read the following :
As I said earlier, our Sanskrit lore is very rich. When I
narrate a story from our Sanskrit text or a mythological story or a verse
describing a deity, lot of references to other related characters arise. These
are known as allusions If we ignore these allusions, the whole
purport of the story - reference will be lost. Hence I am explaining (as far as
possible in a simple manner) all the allususions and stories of those so
called related characters/items.
Kindly note :
For proper pronunciation of Sanskrist, I have used IAST
transliteration. The readers may kindly remember, that, all INDIC
languages do not entertain CAPITAL letters. Hence IAST does not invoke
CAPS. On the other hand, in ITRANS transliteration, capital letters
are invoked to accommodate some consonants (sounds). For example, Mukunda is written
in IAST as mukundaḥ. The same word is written
in ITRANS as mukundaH. In both the cases, the letter ‘h- H’ here
is called as visargaḥ विसर्गः - written as two dots (:).
Therefore, while reading those words, the letter ‘ḥ - H’ appearing in them
may be treated as a silent letter. Eg. The word ‘honour’ is pronounced as
‘onour’ and the letter ‘h- H’ appearing is neglected. Kindly bear
this in mind.
However for the convenience of the readers who are familiar with
the English language, which is in vogue in many parts of the world, I have deliberately
used capital letters wherever necessary.
I dedicate this compilation to my late parents.
Kaśyapaḥ कश्यपः and his wife
Khadrū खद्रू.He is said to be one of the seven dragons holding earth on
their hoods. At the time of churning the milky ocean by the devās and asuārs to
obtain ambrosia, he was used as a rope wound round the mountain Mandaraḥ मन्दरः
śataśīrṣā शतशीर्षा
was his wife. The snakeJaratkāru जरत्कारु, who got married to
the sage Jaratkāruḥ जरत्कारुः was the sister of Vāsukiḥ. purāṇas sometimes
depict the divine snake Vāsukiḥ as one of the dikpālakās-guardians of the
directions, presiding over downward direction. It is said that, at the time of
deluge-pralayaḥ प्रलयः, Lord Viṣṇuḥ विष्णुः took the form of a big
fish (matsya avatāraḥ), and saved the saptariśī -seven sages and Vāsukiḥ
Congratulations! Good Job!
ReplyDelete